Your portal to scholarly information on warfare in the Middle Ages
De Re Militari, begun in 1992, is the Society for the Study of Medieval Military History.Here we host many primary sources, articles, dissertations, and resources for the study of military actions, technology, and topics from the fall of Rome to early seventeenth century. We also have an active online Book Reviewssection.We are the principle online source for scholarly information about warfare in the Middle AgesEvery year, and DRM sponsors lectures at the International Congress for Medieval Studies (Kalamazoo, MI), the International Medieval Congress (Leeds, UK), and the Society for Military History (peripatetic).Since 2003, DRM has also published the annual Journal of Medieval Military History (JMMH), published by Boydell & Brewer, which members receive at a substantial discount off the list price.Please note that in Feb. 2012, the DRM site was infected with a malware attack. We have rebuilt it, and continue to do so, but there are still a few things left to go. If you know of things that used to be here but aren’t able to be found, please let us know. Thank you for your patience.
- The Siege of Amida in 502, according to Pseudo-Joshua the Stylite May 19, 2013
- Syllabus: Warfare and Medieval Society: The Hundred Years War, (seminar) Kowaleski May 17, 2013
- Syllabus: Medieval Warfare (Kowaleski) May 17, 2013
- Syllabus: War and Society: A New Interdisciplinary Degree (J. France) May 17, 2013
- Syllabus: The Crusades (DeVries) May 17, 2013
- Lambert — Shipping the Medieval Military March 29, 2013
- Allmand — The De Re Militari of Vegetius [H-Net review] March 24, 2013
- Multi-volume review of books on medieval warfare March 6, 2013
- Nicolle — Cross & Crescent in the Balkans (Goodrich) December 30, 2012
- Pryor and Jeffreys – Age of the Dromon (Fissel) December 30, 2012
Contact the webmaster.
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-38645652-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);