Your portal to scholarly information on warfare in the Middle Ages
De Re Militari, begun in 1992, is the Society for the Study of Medieval Military History. Here we host many primary sources, articles, dissertations, and resources for the study of military actions, technology, and topics from the fall of Rome to early seventeenth century. We also have an active online Book Reviews section.We are the principle online source for scholarly information about warfare in the Middle Ages. Every year, and DRM sponsors lectures at the International Congress for Medieval Studies (Kalamazoo, MI), the International Medieval Congress (Leeds, UK), and the Society for Military History (peripatetic). Since 2003, DRM has also published the annual Journal of Medieval Military History (JMMH), published by Boydell & Brewer, which members receive at a substantial discount off the list price. Please note that in Feb. 2012, the DRM site was infected with a malware attack. We have rebuilt it, and continue to do so, but there are still a few things left to go. If you know of things that used to be here but aren’t able to be found, please let us know. Thank you for your patience.
Recent Articles and Primary Sources:
- Descriptions of warfare in The Rhyme Chronicle of Livonia September 21, 2016
- The Battle of Stillfried, 1278, from the Gesta Hungarorum September 21, 2016
- Documents Relating to the Baltic Crusade (1199-1266) September 21, 2016
- Military Organisation in the Guta Saga September 21, 2016
- The Norwegian Invasion of Scotland in 1263 September 21, 2016
Recent Book Reviews:
- Bob Carruthers (ed.), War in Ancient Greece (Albright) September 12, 2016
- Sara Cockerill, Eleanor of Castile: The Shadow Queen (Claussen) August 10, 2016
- Guilhem Pépin, Françoise Lainé and Frédéric Boutoulle (eds), Routiers et Mercenaires Pendant la Guerre de Cent Ans; Hommage à Jonathan Sumption (Ditcham) July 28, 2016
- Mike Carr Merchant Crusaders in the Aegean, 1291-1352 (Fissel) July 25, 2016
- Matthew Lewis, Medieval Britain in 100 Facts (Albright) June 17, 2016
Contact the webmaster.