Your portal to scholarly information on warfare in the Middle Ages
De Re Militari, begun in 1992, is the Society for the Study of Medieval Military History. Here we host many primary sources, articles, dissertations, and resources for the study of military actions, technology, and topics from the fall of Rome to early seventeenth century. We also have an active online Book Reviews section.We are the principle online source for scholarly information about warfare in the Middle Ages. Every year, and DRM sponsors lectures at the International Congress for Medieval Studies (Kalamazoo, MI), the International Medieval Congress (Leeds, UK), and the Society for Military History (peripatetic). Since 2003, DRM has also published the annual Journal of Medieval Military History (JMMH), published by Boydell & Brewer, which members receive at a substantial discount off the list price. Please note that in Feb. 2012, the DRM site was infected with a malware attack. We have rebuilt it, and continue to do so, but there are still a few things left to go. If you know of things that used to be here but aren’t able to be found, please let us know. Thank you for your patience.
Recent Articles and Primary Sources:
- The Campaign against the Scots in Munster, 1317 April 13, 2014
- Anna Comnena, the Alexiad and the First Crusade April 13, 2014
- Charles the Bald and the small free farmers, 862-869 April 13, 2014
- Oliver of Paderborn and his siege engine at Damietta April 13, 2014
- A Plea Roll of Edward I’s Army in Scotland, 1296 April 12, 2014
Recent Book Reviews:
- Hales — Islamic and Oriental Arms and Armour March 11, 2014
- Venning – Alternative… Anglo-Saxon Age November 3, 2013
- Nicolle — The Fall of English France 1449-1453 October 29, 2013
- Carey/Allfree/Cairns — Warfare in the Medieval World October 29, 2013
- Bachrach — Warfare in 10C Germany October 29, 2013
Contact the webmaster.