De Re Militari is pleased to present reviews and notices of recent work on medieval military history, whether new books, journal articles, or scholarly appearances in media.
For any questions or more information on becoming a book reviewer for De Re Militari, please contact:
Craig M Nakashian
Book Review Editor, De Re Militari
7101 University Avenue
Texarkana, Texas 75503
(Note- We would like to thank the College of Arts, Sciences, and Education at Texas A&M University-Texarkana for its continued support of the DRM book review process.)
- Mark Hebblewhite, The Emperor and the Army in the Later Roman Empire 235-395 (Bileta) February 12, 2018
- Carl Fredrik Sverdrup, The Mongol Conquests (Albright) February 1, 2018
- Ken Mondschein, Game Of Thrones and the Medieval Art of War (Albright) January 8, 2018
- Simon John, Godfrey of Bouillon: Duke of Lower Lotharingia, Ruler of Latin Jerusalem, c. 1060-1100 (Petrizzo) December 27, 2017
- Peter Hoskins and Anne Curry, Agincourt 1415 (Albright) December 21, 2017
- Joanna Bellis, The Hundred Years War in Literature, 1337-1600 (Smith) December 15, 2017
- Craig M Nakashian, Warrior Churchmen of Medieval England, 1000-1250: Theory and Reality (Lincoln) August 28, 2017
- Martin Aurell, The Lettered Knight: Knowledge and Aristocratic Behaviour in the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries, tr. Jean-Charles Khalifa and Jeremy Price (Million) August 17, 2017
- Prowess, Piety, and Public Order in Medieval Society: Studies in Honor of Richard W. Kaeuper, eds. Nakashian and Franke (Muhlberger) August 7, 2017
- Richard Wadge, Verneuil, The Second Agincourt 1424: The Battle of the Three Kingdoms (Brian Ditcham) August 2, 2017
- The Fifth Crusade in Context The Crusading Movement in the Early Thirteenth Century, eds. Mylod, Perry, Smith, and Vandeburie (Phillips) July 27, 2017
- Bernard S. Bachrach and David S. Bachrach, Warfare in Medieval Europe c. 400-c.1453 (Titterton) July 25, 2017
- Desperta Ferro Antigua y Medieval n.º32: La Guerra de los Cien Años (Albright) June 12, 2017
- Lindsay Powell, Germanicus (Albright) June 3, 2017
- Kim Hjardar and Vegard Vike, Vikings at War (Albright) May 22, 2017
- Thom Richardson, The Tower Armoury in the Fourteenth Century (Fissel) May 11, 2017
|Early Medieval||Crusades and the Military Orders|
|Late Medieval/Renaissance||Italy, Spain, & The Mediterranean|
|France and Low Countries||
|British Isles and the North Sea World||
|Eastern & Non-European||
|Full list of pre-2012 reviews: Alphabetical by Author
For more recent reviews, use the search function above right.
DRM Books Available for Review
Links here are to the publisher’s website for the book, if available.
- Marc Hyden, Gaius Marius: Rise and Fall of Rome’s Savior (Pen & Sword Books, 2017), 331 pp.
- The Uses of the Bible in Crusader Sources,
Edited by Elizabeth Lapina and Nicholas Morton (Brill,
2017), 480 pp. (Available to the reviewer as PDF or Kindle edition)
- Susan Curran, The English Friend, illustrated by Susan Curran and Mike Dixon (Lasse Press, 2007), 304pp. (Available to the reviewer as PDF or Kindle edition.)
- Lindsey Powell, Germanicus (Pen & Sword, 2016), 374 pp.
- Timothy May, The Mongol Art of War (Pen & Sword, 2007; republished 2016), 214 pp.
- Kirill Rivkin and Brian Isaac, A Study of the Eastern Sword (Yamna Publishing, 2017), 360 pp. [2 copies]
- Kirill Rivkin, Arms and Armor of Caucasus (Rivkin, 2015), 327 pp.