De Re Militari is pleased to present reviews and notices of recent work on medieval military history, whether new books, journal articles, or scholarly appearances in media.
For any questions or more information on becoming a book reviewer for De Re Militari, please contact:
Craig M Nakashian
Book Review Editor, De Re Militari
7101 University Avenue
Texarkana, Texas 75503
(Note- the Book Review Editor would like to thank the College of Education and Liberal Arts at Texas A&M University-Texarkana for its continued support of the DRM book review process.)
- Gathagan and North (eds), The Haskins Society Journal 27 (Albright) January 31, 2017
- Hospitaller Piety and Crusader Propaganda, eds. Theresa M. Vann and Donald J. Kagay (Albright) January 17, 2017
- Baronial Reform and Revolution in England, 1258-1267, ed. Adrian Jobson (Albright) December 27, 2016
- Steven Muhlberger, Charny’s Men-at-Arms: Questions Concerning The Joust, Tournaments and War (Hass) December 24, 2016
- Iain A. MacInnes, Scotland’s Second War of Independence (Ditcham) December 12, 2016
- Peter Hoskins with Richard Barber, Crecy 1346: A Tourists’ Guide (Albright) December 12, 2016
- Nicholas A. Gribit, Henry of Lancaster’s Expedition To Aquitaine, 1345-1346 (Albright) November 11, 2016
- The Crusades and Visual Culture eds. Elizabeth Lapina, April Jehan Morris, Susanna A. Throop, and Laura J. Whatley (Ilko) November 4, 2016
- Conor Whately, Battles and Generals: Combat, Culture, and Didacticism in Procopius’ Wars (McMahon) October 17, 2016
- Ignacio and Ivan Lopez, The Spanish Tercios 1536-1704 (Roberts) October 10, 2016
- Phillip Matyszak, Imperial General: The Remarkable Career of Petellius Cerialis (Roberts) October 10, 2016
- Gareth C. Sampson, Rome Spreads Her Wings: Territorial Expansion Between the Punic Wars (Albright) October 6, 2016
- Bob Carruthers (ed.), War in Ancient Greece (Albright) September 12, 2016
- Sara Cockerill, Eleanor of Castile: The Shadow Queen (Claussen) August 10, 2016
- Guilhem Pépin, Françoise Lainé and Frédéric Boutoulle (eds), Routiers et Mercenaires Pendant la Guerre de Cent Ans; Hommage à Jonathan Sumption (Ditcham) July 28, 2016
- Mike Carr, Merchant Crusaders in the Aegean, 1291-1352 (Fissel) July 25, 2016
|Early Medieval||Crusades and the Military Orders|
|Late Medieval/Renaissance||Italy, Spain, & The Mediterranean|
|France and Low Countries||
|British Isles and the North Sea World||
|Eastern & Non-European||
|Full list of pre-2012 reviews: Alphabetical by Author
For more recent reviews, use the search function above right.
DRM Books Available for Review
Links here are to the publisher’s website for the book, if available.
- Desperta Ferro Antigua y Medieval n.º32: La Guerra de los Cien Años (Note- this is a popular magazine about the Middle Ages; Spanish reading ability required)
- Susan Curran, The English Friend, illustrated by Susan Curran and Mike Dixon (Lasse Press, 2007), 304pp. — Available to the reviewer as PDF or Kindle edition.
- Lindsey Powell, Germanicus (Pen & Sword, 2016), 338 pp. [2 copies available!]
- Lee Fratantuono, The Battle of Actium 31 BC (Pen & Sword, 2016), 194 pp.
- Kim Hjardar & Vegard Vike, Vikings at War (Casemate, 2016), 400 p.
- The Chivalric Biography of Boucicaut, Jean II Le Meingre, tr. Craig Taylor and Jane H.M. Taylor (Boydell & Brewer, 2016), 244 pp.
- Timothy May, The Mongol Art of War (Pen & Sword, 2007; republished 2016), 214 pp.
- Daniel M.G. Gerrard, The Church at War: The Military Activities of Bishops, Abbots and Other Clergy in England, c. 900-1200 (Routledge, 2016), 320 pp.