De Re Militari is pleased to present reviews and notices of recent work on medieval military history, whether new books, journal articles, or scholarly appearances in media.
For any questions or more information on becoming a book reviewer for De Re Militari, please contact:
Craig M Nakashian
Book Review Editor, De Re Militari
7101 University Avenue
Texarkana, Texas 75503
(Note- the Book Review Editor would like to thank the College of Education and Liberal Arts at Texas A&M University-Texarkana for its continued support of the DRM book review process.)
- Conor Whately, Battles and Generals: Combat, Culture, and Didacticism in Procopius’ Wars (McMahon) October 17, 2016
- Ignacio and Ivan Lopez, The Spanish Tercios 1536-1704 (Roberts) October 10, 2016
- Phillip Matyszak, Imperial General: The Remarkable Career of Petellius Cerialis (Roberts) October 10, 2016
- Gareth C. Sampson, Rome Spreads Her Wings: Territorial Expansion Between the Punic Wars (Albright) October 6, 2016
- Bob Carruthers (ed.), War in Ancient Greece (Albright) September 12, 2016
- Sara Cockerill, Eleanor of Castile: The Shadow Queen (Claussen) August 10, 2016
- Guilhem Pépin, Françoise Lainé and Frédéric Boutoulle (eds), Routiers et Mercenaires Pendant la Guerre de Cent Ans; Hommage à Jonathan Sumption (Ditcham) July 28, 2016
- Mike Carr Merchant Crusaders in the Aegean, 1291-1352 (Fissel) July 25, 2016
- Matthew Lewis, Medieval Britain in 100 Facts (Albright) June 17, 2016
- Scott Lomax, Nottingham: The Buried Past Of A Historic City Revealed (Albright) June 7, 2016
- Beyond the Gates of Fire: New Perspectives on the Battle of Thermopylae, eds. Christopher Matthew and Matthew Trundle (Albright) May 23, 2016
- Muhlberger, Royal Jousts at the End of the Fourteenth Century & The Combat of the Thirty (Sposato) May 23, 2016
|Early Medieval||Crusades and the Military Orders|
|Late Medieval/Renaissance||Italy, Spain, & The Mediterranean|
|France and Low Countries||
|British Isles and the North Sea World||
|Eastern & Non-European||
|Full list of pre-2012 reviews: Alphabetical by Author
For more recent reviews, use the search function above right.
DRM Books Available for Review
Links here are to the publisher’s website for the book, if available.
- Environment, Society and the Black Death, ed. by Per Lagerås (Oxbow, 2016), 193 pp.
- Desperta Ferro Antigua y Medieval n.º32: La Guerra de los Cien Años (Note- this is a popular magazine about the Middle Ages; Spanish reading ability required)
- Hospitaller Piety and Crusader Propaganda, eds. Theresa M. Vann and Donald J. Kagay (Ashgate, 2015), 394 pp.
- Susan Curran, The English Friend, illustrated by Susan Curran and Mike Dixon (Lasse Press, 2007), 304pp. — Available to the reviewer as PDF or Kindle edition.
- Lindsey Powell, Germanicus (Pen & Sword, 2016), 338 pp. [2 copies available!]
- Lee Fratantuono, The Battle of Actium 31 BC (Pen & Sword, 2016), 194 pp.
- Representing War and Violence: 1250-1600, eds Joanna Bellis and Laura Slater (Boydell & Brewer, 2016), 218 pp.
- Kim Hjardar & Vegard Vike, Vikings at War (Casemate, 2016), 400 p.
- Peter Hoskins with Richard Barber, Crecy 1346: A Tourists’ Guide (Pen & Sword, 2016), 207 pp.
- Alfred H. Burne, The Crecy War: A Military History of the Hundred Years War from 1337 to the Peace of Bretigny in 1360 (Pen & Sword, 1955; Reissue 2016), 366 pp.
- Thom Richardson, The Tower Armoury in the Fourteenth Century (Royal Armouries, 2016), 254 pp.