De Re Militari is pleased to present reviews and notices of recent work on medieval military history, whether new books, journal articles, or scholarly appearances in media.
For any questions or more information on becoming a book reviewer for De Re Militari, please contact:
Craig M Nakashian
Book Review Editor, De Re Militari
7101 University Avenue
Texarkana, Texas 75503
(Note- We would like to thank Dr. Del Doughty, Dean of the College of Arts, Sciences, and Education at Texas A&M University-Texarkana for his continued support of the DRM book review process.)
- Richard J. Blakemore & Elaine Murphy, The British Civil Wars at Sea 1638 – 1653 (Jasmin Ditcham) March 18, 2019
- Susan B. Edgington, Baldwin I of Jerusalem, 1100-1118 (Review by Francesca Petrizzo) March 12, 2019
- Philip J. Caudrey, Military Society and the Court of Chivalry in the Age of the Hundred Years War (Brian Ditcham) March 6, 2019
- Ϸhorsteinn Helgason, The Corsairs’ Longest Voyage: The Turkish Raid in Iceland 1627, translated by Anna Yates and Jóna Ann Pétursdóttir (Simon Egan) February 15, 2019
- Nicholas Savy, Bertrucat d’Albret, ou le destin d’un captaine gascon du roi d’Angleterre pendant la guerre de Cent Ans (Brian Ditcham) February 12, 2019
- Anthony Musson and Nigel Ramsay (eds), Courts of Chivalry and Admiralty in Late Medieval Europe (Brian Ditcham) January 7, 2019
- Joanna Bellis and Laura Slater (eds.), Representing War and Violence, 1250-1600 (Million) January 4, 2019
- Michael Lower, The Tunis Crusade of 1270: A Mediterranean History (Phillips) November 30, 2018
- Michael S Fulton, Artillery in the age of the Crusades: Siege warfare and the development of trebuchet technology (Purton) November 12, 2018
- Savy, La Ville Fortifiée de la Guerre de Cent Ans (v. 1345-v. 1395): Armement et Tactique. (Ditcham) October 31, 2018
- Georgios Theotokis and Aysel Yıldız (eds.) A Military History of the Mediterranean Sea: Aspects of War, Diplomacy, and Military Elites (Fissel) September 22, 2018
- Acre and its Falls: Studies in the History of a Crusader City, edited by John France (Brian Ditcham) September 20, 2018
- Luigi Russo, I crociati in Terrasanta. Una nuova storia (1095-1291) (Petrizzo) September 5, 2018
- Alexander Sarantis, Justinian’s Balkan Wars: Campaigning, Diplomacy and Development in Illyricum, Thrace and the Northern World A.D. 527-565 (McMahon) August 21, 2018
- Tobias Capwell, Armour of the English Knight 1400–1450 (Mondschein) August 20, 2018
- Military Communities in Late Medieval England: Essays in Honour of Andrew Ayton, eds. Gary P. Baker, Craig L. Lambert, and David Simpkin (Brian Ditcham) August 1, 2018
|Early Medieval||Crusades and the Military Orders|
|Late Medieval/Renaissance||Italy, Spain, & The Mediterranean|
|France and Low Countries||
|British Isles and the North Sea World||
|Eastern & Non-European||
|Full list of pre-2012 reviews: Alphabetical by Author
For more recent reviews, use the search function above right.
DRM Books Available for Review
Links here are to the publisher’s website for the book, if available.
- Pietro Monte’s Collectanea: The Arms, Armour and Fighting Techniques of a Fifteenth-Century Soldier, tr. Jeffrey L. Forgeng (Boydell & Brewer, 2018), 333 pp.
- Marc Hyden, Gaius Marius: Rise and Fall of Rome’s Savior (Pen & Sword Books, 2017), 331 pp.
- Elizabeth Lapina and Nicholas Morton (eds.), The Uses of the Bible in Crusader Sources (Brill, 2017), 480 pp. (Available to the reviewer as PDF or Kindle edition)
- Kirill Rivkin and Brian Isaac, A Study of the Eastern Sword (Yamna Publishing, 2017), 360 pp.
- Peter Purton, The Medieval Military Engineer: From the Roman Empire to the Sixteenth Century (Boydell & Brewer, 2018), 365 pp.
- Nicholas Savy, Bertrucat d’Albret: ou le destin d’un capitaine gascon du roi d’Angleterre pendant le guerre de Cent Ans (Archeodrom, 2017), 478 pp. [French]
- Timothy May, The Mongol Art of War (Pen & Sword, 2007; republished 2016), 214 pp.
- Lindsey Powell, Germanicus (Pen & Sword, 2016), 374 pp.
- Susan Curran, The English Friend, illustrated by Susan Curran and Mike Dixon (Lasse Press, 2007), 304pp. (Available to the reviewer as PDF or Kindle edition.)
- Technology, Violence, and War: Essays in Honor of Dr. John F. Guilmartin, Jr., eds. Robert S. Ehlers, Jr., Sarah K. Douglas, and Daniel P.M. Curzon (Brill, 2019), 402 pp.
- The Contemporary English Chronicles of the Wars of the Roses, eds. Dan Embree and M. Teresa Tavormina (Boydell, 2019), 406 pp.